Thursday, October 25, 2012

New gig

As most of you know I have been doing hair out my home for years now.  It's been a great blessing to have clients who are dedicated enough to forgo the salon experience and stick their pretty little heads in my kitchen sink.  It's been a huge blessing to stay home with my children and work while they are with me.  Up until recent times things have gone very very smoothly, however, this ideal situation quickly went down hill.  The girls became very aware what they could get away with while mommy had her hands full.  This involved multiple pee's on the carpet (thank you Colbie T.), mental breakdowns, milk wars, emptying the paper shredder and leaving a shredded paper trail all through out the house, and mean streaks.  Mischief and disobedience in many different ways started to rear its ugly head.  Unfortunately, when I was with a client there was not much I could do until they were gone to put out the fire and discipline the fire starters.  And let me tell you they were turning into little pyromaniacs.  I was feeling disheartened and frustrated at what had gone on with the girls after each client.  They were getting into so much trouble, but being that they are unsupervised three and four year old's of course they were.   It didn't seem fair to them, to me, or to my clients. What was working in the past was no longer working.  Not just because of the girls, but I was also getting exhausted taking my kitchen and turning it into a salon and turning it back into a super clean hair-free kitchen multiple times a week.  It pretty much came down do two options: a very early retirement, or going to work in a salon.  I really love doing hair, so I picked going to a salon.  I'm so glad I did!!  I had my first day last Monday and it was awesome!!  I didn't go into work until 2pm so I had all morning with the ladies.  We went to had breakfast, went to dance class, did some schooling, played, had lunch, and then I got ready for work.  It felt like I got to see them and and then Drew was home by 5 so he had a fun evening with them.  (Don't worry there was a sitter in between those the time I left and Drew got home)  I'm only working one day per week so it is nice that I have all of my clients in one day and the rest of the week to be a mom.  It was a magical day and a huge confirmation that I made the right choice.  It seems that everyone is happier and we actually have more time together.    

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Christy! So glad things are working out better. As you were describing thier mischievious ways, I could literally see them running through the house :D Izzy (and our dog) pulls out all the stops as soon as I get on the phone. Drives me INSANE. I can only imagine how you feel after an entire visit with a client! It's a good thing they're cute as can be ;)

    ReplyDelete