Thursday, October 28, 2010

Scary Hunt

Two days ago the girls and I went on a Scary Hunt. Cambry loves all of the Halloween decorations and refers to skeletons as "scary's", so we decided to head out into the neighborhood and see how many we could find. The girls were in there double stroller having some snacks and checking out the decor having a fabulous time. When we would walk up to a scary Cambry would talk to him, offer him snacks, and usually finish by singing "Happy Birthday to Scary." It made my day.

Today Cambry asked if we could go on another scary hunt. I said sure! She had already packed up Love Bug (one of her toys) into the baby stroller and she asked if she could push Love Bug on the hunt. Harmless, right? I said sure! I put Colbie in our umbrella stroller and Cambry walked beside me with Love Bug in the baby stroller. We headed out and found tons of Scary's to say hi to and sing to. Cambry found a scarecrow that she loved so much she could hardly leave him. I urged her to continue walking as this walk was taking about 300 times longer than usual, and it was getting really hot. We got down the street (probably a 5 minute walk that took literally 40 minutes, but what did I care we had no schedule) and Cambry says "I have to potty". No no no I thought!!!! You peed before we left! But when this two year old says she has to go, I don't mess around. I'm searching my options because I realize that we cannot get back the way we came because there is no way she can hold it that long. After many different attempts we ended up like this: Love Bug and her stroller were attached to the front of Colbie's stroller by putting the back wheels up and over the foot rest of Colbie's stroller, so that when I pushed Colbie I pushed Love Bug as well. Turns out if you give Cambry a piggy-back ride she doesn't hang on, which meant I had to hang on to her with both my hands -leaving me nothing to push with so that didn't work. So I had to put her on my shoulders, but her legs are too short to wrap around me so they were flopping in front and it didn't seem sturdy so I had to hold her on with one hand, and push the stroller train with the other hand. All the while Cambry (not the shoulder-riding expert I had hoped she would be) was leaning forward on me with all her weight crushing my neck and head. It felt like forever before we got to our home. By this time I was a crippled sweaty mess, but still racing to get everyone inside and get this kid to a toilet! I set her on the potty and she sits there, and sits there, and then looks at me and says "I don't have to go"............................Awesome. I almost gave my first swirly. ( I think that's where you hang someone upside down and dunk their head in the toilet and flush.) I guess self control kicked in before it happened, but I sure felt like it! Anyways, we will not be taking any walks together no farther than the park for a loooooong time.

3 comments:

  1. i have never read a post about a mom giving her kid a 'swirly'. you should be the first :)
    i can't even get my kids up on to my shoulders, so well done with that! i guess i have short t-rex arms.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I was totally expecting to read that Cambry had peed on you while riding on your shoulders!!! I kept saying, "No, no!!!" Whew, glad that didn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story made my day. I also thought you were going to say she peed on your neck, so the story turned out better FOR YOU then expected. Secretly, I hoped she would ;) Love you :)

    ReplyDelete