Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ain't no Foo

On Father's Day I gave Drew a really great present if I do say so myself. He isn't really into gifts that much, so any holiday I really struggle to find something that he will like and wont want to secretly return. This year I decided I would give him an experience. I racked my brain for something that he would like to do. One day I was driving and on the radio I heard that tickets to see the Foo Fighters were going on sale the Friday before Father's Day. They also announced that if you called right then you could win tickets before they even went on sale! I called. It was busy. I called. It was busy. This went on and on and on. Needless to say I did not win tickets, but I was ready at my computer at 11am on Friday morning when tickets went on sale buy tickets with all of the other callers, like myself, who didn't win. Tickets were selling like crazy! By the time I had my credit card typed in all of the floor seats were sold out! Ah! Our seats ended up being a little high, but they were still really great.
Father's Day was in June and our concert wasn't until October 16th, so we have been waiting and anticipating this night for months! (He was SUPER stoked when he opened his non-materialistic-experience-present and I was super stoked because I was pretty sure he would take me) The night finally came and we got to the arena where they were playing and I started to get jittery. Something happens to me when I enter a concert venue. I get so excited/nervous. Excited because I am about to see someone great perform who up until this point has only been about a foot tall on my TV. Nervous because hearing someone sing live really makes it our breaks it for a band. They will either really impress you or you will leave wondering how they became famous. I also love to look at the other fans. I always think that they cannot possibly like them as much as I do, and I know they are thinking the same about me. And at this concert I kind of snickered as everyone looked so old. Then I got a sick feeling in my stomach and realized we probably didn't look very out of place and we will soon be the old folk trying to rock out. I'm okay with that. I hope to be at rock concerts in my nineties.
It's so fun to feel the energy as the band takes the stage, or when you hear them starting one of their great songs and the crowd goes nuts. This crowd was primarily made up of white folk in their forties, so as you can image their was a lot of white folk head bobs. Those who were really into it threw up a few fist pumps which also made me smile. The best was the intoxicated lady in front of us who was air drumming her white little heart out.
Now to the band. Did they impress us? More than I ever thought possible. They blew my mind actually. If you don't know who they are the Foo Fighters have been a band for 16 years and have numerous platinum albums and 6 grammys. Dave Grohl who is there lead singer started out as a drummer for a little band called Nirvana, you may have heard of them. Kurt Cobain blew that for them though. Literally. Dave turned down other opportunities to join other bands to start his own and he created the Foo Fighters. What a talented man to be the drummer for the best grunge band of all time, then start your own band and be the lead singer and guitarist. Wow.
They played for over THREE hours. It was insane. I've never been to a concert where they played that long! Not only that but I'm pretty sure that Dave has had to have his neck replaced with a slinky the way that throws it around the entire time.
Here are some pics from our night out.

Sipping our sodas that cost us $12. Yep, we paid for food almost the price of another ticket!


This is me modeling my sexy earplugs. I have doctors orders to wear them to prevent any further hearing loss. (full story is in a previous blog post) I thought I would just wear my hair down and no one would see them, but it was hot in there so I decided to wear a ponytail anyways and let the world see my plugs. At one point on stage Dave Grohl said something about not wanting to be deafer than he already is, and I realized I bet most rockstars do have hearing loss from this crazy noise they around. Anyways, it makes me feel better anytime I find out that someone super cool has the same disability. :) It also made me realize how well earplugs work. When I first put them in I thought "Wow! This is the perfect muffle. I should use these when I'm in my car." Then I realized I should just turn down the radio in my car. (Don't worry I don't listen to my music too loud with the children, so that I do not impair their hearing, plus they yell "too loud, mom" if I get out of hand.)

Dave surrounded by tons of fans.

A clip to see how springy his neck is, and their amazing music. Well, their music may not be your taste and that's okay we are all different. But for rock and roll they were top notch.

1 comment:

  1. Wasn't that THE BEST concert ever!!! I just saw them up in KC about a month ago and was blown away by how they sounded live - amazeballs. And yes, totally got a kick out of the "older" folks in the crowd :D

    ReplyDelete