Friday, December 9, 2011

Big girl beds!!!

Drew and I have had a goal for quite a while. It seemed like a milestone that was never really going to happen. Something that when we thought of we looked at each other with nervous eyes knowing the effort that it was going to take to reach this accomplishment. What was it? Getting the girls to sleep in their big girl beds - in the same room. Yikes! They currently have their own rooms, and I know one day they will want to have separate rooms again (but in the mean time mama's getting a craft room! Holla!!). We just wanted them to build some childhood memories together and as close as possible. Literally.

Here were a few of our fears:

Colbie: She sleeps in her crib and loves it. She is in a cute, stylish jail that keeps her from wondering the hallways of our home. When she wakes up in her crib she just lays in bed and sings until someone comes to get her. She is peaceful in there - with the exception of the 10 day stretch that she was a screaming tyrant that insisted on sleeping standing up and made me wonder every night who replaced my sweet baby with the crazy banchy? - but we will just chalk that week up to teething and never look back. My fear about moving Colbie into the big girl bed was that she was going to revert back to her banchy-ways but be loose in our house!

Cambry: A wonderful sleeper......as long as she is in our bed. Oops. This kid has been sleeping with Drew and I for about a year now. Hard habit to break. And also bittersweet. Cambry is a completely crazy sleeper, and as annoying as it to take an elbow to the face, or a swinging leg across the gut (our nights sleep sometimes resembled a UFC fight), I loved crawling into bed and snuggling with that little lady. If any one was watching when I crawled into bed with her it probably looked a smidge creepy because I always snuggled up right next to her, pet her head for a bit, smelled her (that's the creepy part, but her hair always smells so good!), and made sure she was covered up because she is a nudist and only sleeps in undies. It seems like every night Drew and I would go in and see how she was sleeping and smile and say how cute she was. It never got old. I think Colbie was starting to realize that we all slept in the same bed and feel left out though, and I never want her to feel left out over anything. There just isn't room for four in the bed! Believe me, we've tried it.

So anyways, we did it. We have been preparing the girls that "someday soon" they would be sharing a room. I moved over all of Colbie's belongings and she has been sharing the room (just not sleeping there) for about two months. We even set up Colbie's bed in Cambry's room and we would practice laying in there together in preparation for the big day. We also stopped calling it Cambry's room, and called it the girls room. We put up some planet stars and stickers on the ceiling to make the room a little more exciting. Then the day came. We have been asking the girls when they wanted to sleep in there and Cambry kept saying "soon, soon we will" and I thought she really meant never. Until Sunday when she said "I think I want to sleep in my big girl bed tonight." Drew and I looked at each other wide-eyed and said "Okay!" And that is where they have slept together for the last five nights. They have done a really great job, and the video monitor to watch what they are doing has become priceless. I only wish it was recording. Of course there is a bunch of laughter coming from the room, some sweet story telling, and then a few screams as Colbie repeatedly crosses over into her sisters bed, and we have seen pillow fights, and the occasional tattle-tale (Cambry yelling "MOM! COLBIE IS SAYING BUTT!!!" -butt is off limits to say- and Colbie is sitting on the edge of her bed bouncing and saying "butt, butt, butt, butt" over and over. Man that kid cracks me up.) Drew and I just try to let them work out their issues on their own and stay out as much as possible. The biggest issue is that the insomniac in Colbie has come out. She must take after me. She would stay up all night rather than miss something. Even after Cambry has fallen asleep she stays awake and still teases her, or sings, or cries, but doesn't go to sleep until about 11. That's late for a two-year-old, and her personality in the morning shows it! I know once the newness of it all wears off, then I'm sure she will go to sleep.
Over all we are so proud of them, and it's nice to have our bed back with it's intended purpose.....Uninterrupted sleep!!!


Night 1 in the big girl beds!

2 comments:

  1. Memories in the making! They are so your mini me's :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me join you, the youngest first then big sis, no sleeping tonight girls!

    ReplyDelete