Monday, April 4, 2011

Split Ends

I have this horrible habit. Whenever I'm sitting by myself and I'm a little bored my first attempt at curing my boredom is checking the ends of my hair for split ends. This happens at stoplights, or the entire drive somewhere if I'm the passenger, or while I'm playing with the kids and they have been playing with the same thing for too long, a boring movie, or even when I'm on the phone. It's a really annoying habit. I pull up a clump of hair and begin to inspect the ends. It's so bitter-sweet to find one. Bitter in the fact that my hair has unhealthy areas, and sweet that I found one of them and I get to snip it off and feel a sense of accomplishment. Why are split ends so nasty to me? Well, they are a sign of damage. A sign of weakness. They are ugly. The worst part is when they multiply they make even the healthy hair look bad. It's easier to see split hairs because they stand out and show over the healthy sleek hairs leaving the sleek hairs looking unhealthy because they are hidden behind the unhealthy layer. When you don't give your hair the proper maintenance it is not going to be it's best. There are many products out there to conceal split ends and make hair appear healthier for the day, but after a wash your real hair is revealed. It would be a lot of effort to continously hide them from everyone. There is no mirical product the only way to get rid of them is to cut them! Cut them off! This is surprisingly hard to do for girls that are growing their hair out. (Myself included) It's easy to set a goal for length and then lose sight of the fact that your long locks are now nappy.
I was thinking how sin is a lot like split ends. It can be found anywhere and come up at anytime even in the midst of healthiness. Most times we can hide it from everyone and think they don't know, but the only way to free ourselves from it is to cut it out of our life completely. Cut it out and run from it! It's takes so much more effort to conceal sin and will eventually weigh us down. It will contaminate and make even our healthy aspects appear unhealthy. Though it might seem harder to confront than to conceal, confronting your issues will help you grow and be closer to God. So make it right. God already loves us just they way we are. He wants us to be at our best so we can love him too.
Romans 8:6 "The mind of a sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."
Life and peace is a great promise. Thank you Jesus for knowing that we all have split ends and for loving us anyways and helping us to get rid of them!

It's not what you cut off it's what you leave on. Choose to be strong and healthy because that is beautiful.

Oh a hairstlyist bible lesson. My poor girls are probably going to get a lot of these.

Also, if this inspired anyone for a haircut please feel free to call me. :)

5 comments:

  1. What a great analogy! And yes, I need a hair cut. You going to be around these parts anytime soon?!

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you lovely lovely soul. great post. i love you so much. i do the spilt end thing too! it's not ok. i guess i will probably need a hair cut sooner than later. i'll have my people call your people. we'll set something up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that...I'll be sure to mention it to the next person who surprises me at work as i reach for my scissors while i stare a bit cross-eyed at the offending hair so that i don't lose it...or maybe not :) I love that you've given it new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I get it...I get the hint. I will call you to have my hair cut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, sis! My favorite part is, "Its not what you cut off, its what you leave on!"

    ReplyDelete