Friday, March 4, 2011

Free bird

I keep having these moments with Colbie this week that I just want to document because day after day this child is melting my heart in so many ways by just being herself. I know these are little things, but they are things that I want to remember when someday I am looking back.
I want to remember the way she feels. The other day I was driving and I reached my hand back to run my fingers through Colbie's hair and give her a love pat. (she sits directly behind me in her car seat so it was a bit of a stretch to reach her with my right hand and keep the left hand on the wheel.) As I did this she grabbed my hand with her puffy little chubby hand. We just stayed hand in hand for the longest time and I was loving the feel of her super soft skin and her sweet hand playing with mine. After a while my arm felt like it was going to snap off, but I drove the whole way home like that because I wanted her to keep hanging on.
Today I took the girls to the park and while Cambry was playing on the playground Colbie got sidetracked and ran off into the grass. The grassy area at this park is huge, probably the size of a football field, and she just took off running and laughing in it. She would look back to see if I was watching her and then continue on. She looked so tiny in this big field. Then she stopped and laid down. I love this about her. She does it anywhere and everywhere whether it's at home on the carpet, or in the middle of the McDonald's play area where other kids are stepping over her. I'm not sure why she does it, but I love to watch it. She just stops and lays face up looking at the sky with a smile. It's like she needs a moment to soak it all in. I went over to get her after a while and she began to "snore". I knew she wanted me to "wake" her up, so I yelled "WAKE!" and tickled her. Her beautiful laugh bounced out, and then she immediately "fell back asleep" again for some more. Then she made some grass angels (not sure what to call them but it looks like she is making a snow angel in the grass) and then we left.
She is also loving to cheers to everything. Aunt Cindy started this one, and it's Colbie's favorite. No drink can be taken or food consumed without a proper cheers.
This one is bitter-sweet, but I'm going to put it in the mostly sweet category. She is such a mama's girl. It feels so great to walk into a room and see her see me. She lights up and with a smile and laugh runs to me. I love love love this. This does mean that there are multiple days at the gym when I am on the treadmill and I hear "Attention Mountainside members, would Christin Roberts please go to the childcare? Christin Roberts to the childcare." Bummer for the workouts sake, but when I go get her and the minute she transfers into my arms and goes from a blubbering cry to safe and happy it's all okay. I tell myself to enjoy it because I'm sure it wont last forever. I don't think when she is in high school I will get a page that says "Attention high school moms, will Christin Roberts report to the school? Your daughter really misses you and needs a hug." I know I will wish for these days.

Just some cuteness to share:




I can't get enough of these pigtails!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. When you were talking about your arm almost breaking off so you could hold her hand, I can completely relate. You gotta get it when you can! She totally reminds me of Isabelle in this last picture :D

    ReplyDelete